Thursday, April 19, 2007

B-School Jargon saves the Day

Remember all the presentation n class lecture, where we made the Bull $hit bingo matrix……. Who completes the matrix faster with all the jargon we learnt in B school.

Last Thursday, I had a client visit in my office Sr. VP level who heads entire America ops.

She wanted to understand how things are happening on the floor and met with 7 of us from the delivery. She wanted to make notes on the issues n follow-up on them. When each one started speaking, they got into transactional level issues, which she was not interested in rather not able to connect, as expected she just shooo-off all the concerns team raised.

When my turn came, the MBA brat in me came to fore……… J. I asked her can I use the board, she gave me a good look n said ‘You May’

Picked up a marker n drew a small process flow from Business need to final delivery. Then hell broke loose.. I was at my best usage of jargon (didn’t use them for close to a year)

Business criticality of market forces for credit cards in USA,
Time to market which business wants,
Product/process viability of the offshore model we are pushing,
value add to business which we IT vendor is providing,
Knowledge management to ensure the domain knowledge is captured,
ROI on IT investment they are making,
opportunity loss if we don’t work together Client n vendor,
people mngt – cultural difference ( things like Indian’s ability to say NO to american’s when they pressurize to do more work) ,
lack of trust leading to Communication GAP( our pet theme in all case studies we did)

Post 10 minutes I was able make her take notes in her BLACK diary J.

MBA jargon saved the day for our team that day……………………… We learnt the jargon to be prepared for the Big show, it just happened I used the jargon in the big stage with the right people………….. BOARD level hahehehhehehheheh


Sundeep

3 Comments:

Blogger Gautam said...

ye Shivram Apte ko padha.. maja aayega comments sunkar.. hehehheh..

May 05, 2007 12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

experiment with experiences and learnings always makes wonders in Life....This blog impressed me a lot yaar...
gone thru this many times... to get motivation from U... GR8 job man!!

February 29, 2008 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

November 11, 2008 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home